As anticipated, Google has rolled out a revamped version of Hangouts app for both Android and iOS, which enhances the user experience.
With the update, the iOS version has been pushed to version 1.3.1. But the iOS changelog is rather short. Here’s what’s new in the latest version:
- Mood status, in-call and device: Share your present mood, if you are in a call, or what device you are on.
- Other bug fixes and performance enhancements.
Whereas the Android version has received a pretty good number of features in today’s update. The latest version brings support for SMS and animated GIFs. As the app supports MMS/SMS, users will be able to use the app as their default service to send text as well as picture messages, besides web-based instant messaging.
In addition, users will also be able to share their location in just a tap; just click the new pin icon available in the bottom right hand side of the app, then the app immediately draw your position and share it within your chat window as a Google Maps thumbnail.
Here’s the complete changelog of Android version:
- Support for SMS and MMS: You can now send and receive text messages, share your existing messages, toggle between Hangouts and SMS, and start group MMS conversations in a blink of an eye.
- Support for animated GIFs.
- Share your current location within your conversations.
- Share if you are on a call, your present mood, and the device you are using.
iOS version hasn’t received support for SMS, MMS, animated GIFs, and location sharing. Let’s hope Google will soon release even those features on iOS.
Android and iOS users can download the latest version of Hangouts app from the links given below.
Hangouts download link for Android (free)
Hangouts download link for iOS (free)